Sunday, June 17, 2007

Deathly Hallows (What I want)

Its just a few days away. I have already put a counter on my blog. I will pre-order my copy at the local bookstore which promises to have a pre-release party on 20th July. I had even started reading the fake book that came out a few weeks ago. It was so UnRowlingish..
But now I suddenly feel that am I expecting too much. Somehow I am not afraid of any of the deaths. Let Harry die and so be it Hermione or Hagrid, at this stage, I don't think I will be heartbroken. All I am concerned about is Dumbledore should not be wrong. He has to be the right one. And that means Snape is good. I have never liked Snape myself. It will be really great if JKR can prove that Snape is good but still fail to raise any sympathies in our hearts for him. Yeah that's what she is best at. She can totally play with our feelings. In HBP, the death of Dumbledore didn't upset me. It was the feelings that Harry went through that made me feel sad. Also the beautiful description of the last rites of his death. I always thought that this is one wasteful thing to do. Call so many people for a death. But the way she wrote about it and through the eyes of Harry, it was really fabulous. Its her style that I am looking out for in DH and not the plot.
And why is that? Well, I have been reading a lot of magic books. Bartimaeus trilogy, Inheritance Trilogy (eragon fame) . Well, and guess what, they are all good. The plots are excellent, the dialogues are excellent and witty and you do get your quota of learning good things as well. The win of good over evil, the soft corner that even bad people have etc. etc. And all the unexpected things that happen at the unexpected times.
Therefore I think the plot won't amaze me even a bibt. Whether harry dies or not, hermione breaks up with ron and dates malfoy, Hagrid turns out to be a death eater.
What I look forward to is how far will Aunt Petunia go to save Harry and most importantly the last chapter. JKR has said that the last chapter will contain details of what happens to each surviving character. this becomes very important as this can really make the book and the entire series just another series or a Masterpiece. I feel its very difficult to write anything like that. Most people don't venture into this at all. And even if they do, it is always very very tame. Either happily ever after or mostly, the routine life continues.
But I am very confident of JKR, she is not going to do something that routine in the last chapter of the series. What she does is what I am looking forward the most...

2 comments:

Advay said...

Well..
Like you i too have a great interest in Potter book series. I think its every single person's expectation that this book will be really fabulous, no doubt in that. Few things were really noticable like Harry's hatred towards Snape but Snape always had Dumbledores backing. Snape is going to play major role in the last book and i believe Snape will turn good.
About future of characters, it will be a normal end if Harry dies. But i would like Harry to win the life's battle and join Weasley twins in their magic shop.
Lets keep our fingers crossed for the D-day.

Sandipan Mitra said...

That's a good idea. In the joke shop!
He will be the checkout counter guy and ginny the receptionist or what?