Monday, February 26, 2007

My mobile

Mera Pyaar.. Samsung N500. It doesn’t rhyme. But it doesn’t matter. And the name does sounds like some medicine, Vicks action 500. But no, its my ex mobile phone.

I know it may sound crazy. With handsets like RAZR, N-series and the new in line, Apple i-phone in the market, who will care about Samsung N 500. I bet, even in jan 2008, when I change to a new plan, definitely I will go for some new and trendy one that time. But my first love will always be N500.

I don’t know, why people in India are so obsessed with Nokia, agreed its hardy. But then its keys are so different for each model. There is no unity. And looks, forget it, they are the worst looking handsets. Even when you press the green button, it just shows either last calls or missed calls or received calls and never all of these together. But still people like it. And I know why. Its hardy and it has strong signal. That’s why when mom asked me to get one for her; I too went in for a Nokia only.

But this time during my India trip, when my mom told “ei dekho tomar pocha cell”,(see your rotten cell) I really shouted at her. But alas, she was not alone. Many were laughing at my N500 and when I showed it to one of my dearest friends, and told, see the best cell ever created, I just got a pity smile in return.

Let me brag about N500 a bit. Consider only the non polyphonic, single colour display mobiles. I think there is nobody to beat it in that league. Even the color phones minus cameras. This phone has absolutely no sharp edge. Rather it doesn’t have an edge at all, and that gave it the winning edge which nobody except the users of N500 understood.

It has a multicolor keypad and will put even aurora boreal to shame when it glows in the dark. There is white light, blue light, green and red. To add to it, what they call the service color. Its an small LED in a corner just like the “Kahin nazar na lag jaye” tika. Only thing is that it’s not the black tika but it gives u a choice of 6 colors there also.

Believe me, it has got the lightest battery too.

And how can I forget the ocean blue background color of display? It’s the best blue possible. I remember once I had lost my cell (actually I had left it at a restaurant and Umesh took it without telling me). I was in tears for almost 5 hours after which when umesh gave it to me, and the blue color came up n the screen, it was a joy I can’t express in words.

The only close second in that range is Panasonic GD 92. It had the same great blue colors, the keys are just the same and it has unique 4 background color option which people can match with their moods. And it was long and has the smallest cross section and it shape resembles ….( ask the people who use it)

Now my N500 lies, in some tiny drawer in my Barasat house, covered with a coat of dirt. But I have still scratched it at places and brought out its true color. When you try to make a call from that, you have to hit it on its head. But still it’s the best and I will never ever loose it for anything.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Pity smile friend is me.. :)
Yaar Nokia is the BEST.. u're cell cant beat it :P

Advay said...

I am laughing like anything after reading the blog.
Dont tell me you were in love with ur cell, i remember you dropping that cell so many times in the hostel mess and many other places.Finally one of us had to tell you that ur poor cell is lying somewhere.
But whatever 1st cell is 1st cell.
I am also keeping my antique motorola C350 with me. Sometimes i just take out from from my drawer and just laugh at it. Reminds me of my old days. I think this cell phone will be with me forever.
Though its a stupid thing to like 1st cell but it somehow carries a lot of emotions.
Its one of the rare similarity we share. :)

.....! said...

Mr Pandipan! Pl change Hardy to Handy.........
:P
Unless u intended to say that ur n500 was "hardy" ;)

.....! said...

wont u trade it for the atom bomb?

Sandipan Mitra said...

Mr Mahesh,
I meant hardy as in tough and nothing happens even when it falls down. Sturdy is a better word. But Nokia is definitely not handy.
Though I don't know why u have a **y outlook at everything!

Perfect Misfit said...

agreed Sandy that the samsung sets are a touch lighter, but as i told the software quality and resale value of samsung is nowhere near Nokia's standard.
But yeah the topic was quite unique and different!!