Sunday, June 18, 2006

Anti-Reservation, My Take

Better late than never! Not getting much ideas to blog in recent past, there is no way i can let 1 go!
But this doesn't mean I am just writing one for the sake of writing!
Here we go!
I am against reservation but unlike many i am not against minorities or backward classes!
I Do believe that backward classes and minorities are still suppressed in India! Villages are no different! We, the e-saavy, blogging youth generally always come from posh metros or the so called small towns which are not small anymore! But what happens in Kalahandi(Orissa), Salekasa (chattisgarh) and the tiny villages in UP n Bihar, we don't know!
From some recent interactions I have come to know that India is still NOT shining in these places and lot many more! Caste discrimination is still at large and really bad in all these places!
For that matter all of us(Indians) are still. How many of us can do an intercast marriage without any eyebrow raise of any of the relatives. IMPOSSIBLE.

Generally all the anti-reservation protesters have this grudge since their admission days! Numerous examples have been written as how that boy didn't get to this institute and all but in this I want to thank my Mom as she had always told me to compete for that 250 seats that is available for you and never see the 500 seats and 50% reservation and this helped me a lot!

During my time in addition to the usual 50% reservation there was 50% reservation on the remaining 50% for girls! It was a big blow for me and I still remember how I cried after the counseling on being admitted to LIT. But never has the thought of blaming it on women or SC/ST came to my mind. And later, a prof in LIT had told that this rule hurts in the beginning but it's a blessing in disguise for the 4 years to follow! You have a 1-1 ratio and chance for a girlfriend is almost assured!

Whatever, i think reservation can't help improving the backward classes as the classes in India are based on socially backward and not economically backward an the two are no longer similar. So the general caste will hate the backward class even more, now in addition to the general hatred for the lower caste, they will hate them more for the undue advantages. So there is no use of the reservation + as no party is opposing the motion, i don't see how it will benefit one particular party!

Lastly, thanks to RDB, the youth is coming up so nicely for something! This was a phenomenon which was lost since independence i guess!

5 comments:

Nikhil Nemade said...

Good viewpoint...I hav similar xperiences.....cant agree more wid the blog.....though its one of ur "verrrrrry few" viewpoints which I usually agree wid :)

Sandipan Mitra said...

hahha! atleast somebody agreed! i generally have views which nobody agrees with!

Anonymous said...

I do certainly agree with ur viewpoint...though it hurt a lot in BE days when girls and guys in E&C , Mech and ELEC flunked in every year and I despite being the College Topper was stuck in Civil....Our profs sayings that Civil and Mech are royal branches never helped , as at that time, getting a job was my dream and not Phd , which I always though was for the mad heads! And U.S.?? Oh Man! I never dreamt of even IIT , leave aside U.S. ...but nevertheless, I agree with u at this juncture :)

Sandipan Mitra said...

Thanks for agreeing!

But you know, the problem is not very simple!

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»