Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Thank you CH Apt122

Its exactly a year today since we are living together at 122 Cherry Hollow, College Station, TX . On 2005 same day I committed for living with 3 other people for atleast 1 year! Now this was different form other lifestyles I had earlier! In hostels, its just the room that you share, mainly to sleep and rarely to study! This one needs more commitments! U cook for yourself as well as for others! You share the same bathroom, kitchen etc. Its pretty difficult. I got the taste of it in BBSR and they were excellent roomies. I would even go on to say the best ever, but that was a short period of time of 6 months and I knew I would be leaving that place. But at cherry Hollow 122, I was for 2 years!
My roommates are:
1) Nikhil Nemade : His fav words : Moron and R u OK
2)Mahesh Sonawane: His fav words change with time, beginning it was "Amazing" and now it is "faar white aahe"(God knows what that means, but certainly not its white far away)
3)Shridhar Yamijala: No dialogues by him in particular but we do associate him with the words "aeeeeeeee bayiiiiiiiiiiii"
4)And me: My words : I don't remember , but i do like to greet the above three as "Yen magaa"

Anyway so here are some salient things that happened to we 4 as a group along the year.

* The Ganapati Chaturthi celebrations. Fresh from home, we were brewing with all the hinduism and Indianness and 3 being marathi, the puja with agarbatti and shira was something i will never forget.
* Nikhil's decision to leave us. At the very beginning Nikhil decided to leave US because he didn't like what they teach here which afterwards changed to living with other people! We 3 wondered what's wrong with us, why is he leaving us, but in the end, he stuck with us.
* The visits by the panchayat! We had made family friends. As if we were a family. The friends were the panchayat, rather only 4 of them living in Casa 604 who came regularly and as a group and we had "chaha taakoing" sessions.
* Reeta hurricane: We got all prepared for the hurricane which never came. But finishing all the emergency drinks and gazing at the fast moving cloud till 5 am in the morning is what we did on Reeta day.
* The dumb Charades sessions: One fine day we started playing dumb charades and it still remains the most popular and easily accepted games amongst all of us.
* Nikhil breaking his hand and being unable to cook for 6 whole weeks. It was fun and especially the colourful plaster on his hand and his Tom Cruise lookalike doctor.
* Thankgiving end: Shridhar coming at 8:58 from California and met a prof for interview at 9 who gave him an RA.
* The birthday celebrations: It started with mine, and what a pleasant surprise it was! The biggest cake I had ever cut and then the dipping into the icecold swimming pool. The trend followed with Shridhar, Mahesh and a comparably much warmer pool for Nikhil.
* The aggie nights: A post has been written on this by Mahesh and i won't wish to elaborate more.
* USAMOVIEEXPRESS : The five dollar rental movie parlor! We have even seen 4 movies on a single day. And we still do atleast 3 movies a week.
* Nikhil's laptop and his permanent place in the corner of the drawing room.
* Shridhar's camera, which everyone of us has used more than he did.

Well there are many more and I would ask the roomies to comment about them. There were moments of disappointments, and extreme anger on one another but we still cruised along. Off late especially since I came back from cincinnati, i have seen that bonding getting stronger and even though Nikhil is in Dallas but we have never missed him.
Recent past we have been seeing roommates falling apart after a year and then I wonder what it is that holds us together. But now I realize how we have changed in the past year. As for me, I understand more marathi than ever before and I guess I have learnt to be tougher in my life!
A visisble but surprisingly cute change was that of food. Nikhil from Jalgaon, Shridhar from AP and Mahesh from Nashik have all a high tolerance for spices. But now they have changed, I guess for me, Thanks folks. I had the shock of my life when Nikhil told that he found that he found the Chitale's Bhakhar wadi too spicy. Well its tme for me to divulge the secret to you 3 guys today! Never on my cooking turns since the last 10 months have u had less than 2 tbsp of sugar in every food that I cooked.

Anyway I am out of good finishing lines now, so lets just say Happy Anniversary.

16 comments:

Nikhil Nemade said...

i am not from jalgaon...i hav nvr stayed thr....jus my native place....so dats not verry right....and I got the licence before mahesh (i know he'll get one soon)....so my pic should be wid the car :(

Nikhil Nemade said...

...and me am shooooooo sholly for da confujhun i created initially :)

Sandipan Mitra said...

Hahhah gimme a pic of urs with car!!!
and regarding that hotch potch it was fun!

.....! said...

First of all : Me from Pune not Nasik :)
Ur fav words ill tell u: :"Gone"........
What binds us together i guess is we are so different than one another and so complement each other well......
We have shared so many secrets now that cant afford to take Panga with each other hahahahahah....
and its not far white aahe, it is far waait aahe.... meaning - too bad
u forgot to list Church visit on 25 th, shridhar kee khilli udaana, college stn me kiski jodee kiske saath ho - wo elaborate session with relationship tree and alll hahahahahaha
aur bahoot chjee hain re yaad aai to aur commentungaaaa,,,,

waise aaj tera cooking turn hain , so expecting anniversary dinner:
aur guets ko bulau kyaa ? ;)

Anonymous said...

mera photo badal yaar...that's a nice blog though...like all of us I too have never stayed in AP though my parents hail from that state..u forgot to add mahesh's confidence in translating "pawa" in Punjabi to "basuri" in hindi which made arjun, whom we first hosted, fall on the floor and roll...and I reached CS at 8:50 a.m. not 8:58... but neways a well summarized account of our first year in Apt 122..

Nikhil Nemade said...

hahahaha....the matchmaking tree.....i remember dat now.....that was crazy!!!!!....everyone was so seriously involved!!! :)

Sandipan Mitra said...

Hahah! really the tree !! how much time we spent on that! but as u know the equations have totally changed now!! So a new tree will come up!

Sandipan Mitra said...

To all!
Saying that way me too not from kolkata! But roots do matter! U know..

shridhar,
Regarding 8:58, it just makes it more dramatic!

Nikhil Nemade said...

jhooth likhta hai blog mein!!!!....jus to make it dramatic!!
.....kya bollywood film ka masala generate kara kya ?????
....besharam!!!!

Sandipan Mitra said...

Atleats it is better than mhesh breaking 122 door many times!!! He didn't even do it once!!!

.....! said...

What about Kaple breaking our bathroom knob and putting us in eternal fear! Yup Sandy well said , the tree has changed big deal!

Dev said...

Amazing post yaar... and amazinger comments :D

Happy anniversary to u! Been a yr since u been there huh... The rest of us poor souls jus finished 2 yrs at Infy. Aug 9th!

Anonymous said...

Hey !do u realise u have actually written everones incorrect hometown :P
Accha mera bata.. lets see how mcuh u knwo ur friends ;)

Sandipan Mitra said...

Hey none of it is wrong yaar!! its like these guys are basically form these places! like I am basically from barasat!
U r born in delhi/dehradun! not sure!!
but ur original place must be some village like khanwalange or something!
Even u won't know!![:)]

Anonymous said...

Nothing is true about me!! huh :-/

Anonymous said...

guess i m v late in wishing u guys "happy anniversary" ..but wid friends its nvr too late!
wat is this relationship tree?? wats going on? i can smell something fishy!
well, next time when we all meet, can we also get a chance to play dumbcharades? i have never played it with so many ppl..i really want to experience that fun!