Saturday, January 07, 2006

Tryst with small cities

Somehow against my wishes I have always been a small city guy. Though I always wanted it big. First of all it was Nagpur. Though I can hear no bad thing about nagpur, but it is a true fact that it is a small town.
Then people generally go to big cities to study further. But I went to an even smaller town. Mangalore. It's beautiful. Real cute and 100% literacy which you can feel around you. Beautiful beaches, beautiful people. But still a small town and it was here that I decided that I don't want to stay in a small town. After placements I was confident that finally I will settle in my dream city bangalore. But fate had something else in store for me.
I was put for training in Mysore. Well, I agree it was a capital city earlier and still hosts the best looking palace in India but still a small town is a small town. It's in mysore that I learnt how good the real kannada people are and the general grudge people have against the south Indians just ca't be for the kannadigas. These people are the real "mind their own business" types. Now after four months here and the weekends in bangalore, my will got stronger about staying in big cities. Most of the people in the training were scared of a gimmick that Chennai Infy is expanding and there is a high chance that everybody would be placed there. Only I was happy. My first choice was always bangalore, but if not, chennai was my second option. People said the food is bad but I am a fan of rice and rasam lunch. People say girls are bad, who cares?? People say autowalas are bad, I agree. But is that a reason to hate a city. I had 3 reasons why I liked chennai over any place than bangalore.
1) It is nearest to bangalore. Hehehe ( kahani mein twist)
2) I had one of my best friends there.
3) It has a beach. Rather it has beacheS.
Whatever the speculation was, I was transferred to a small town yet again. Bhubaneswar or BBSR. I have already written enough about BBSR, so no more. But the only consoling that people gave me that it's only 6 months. Then I will be in USA.
But the reality is even USA has it's small towns. And College Station is one of the smallest. It's the more modern and well equipped than any other big city in India I agree. But you still see the small town mentality.

Now I have observed a trend. I am going downwards. I mean Nagpur>Mangalore>Mysore>BBSR>College Station..... Who knows what my next destination is??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: