Sunday, June 01, 2008

Movies I like

One can categorize movie watchers into the following groups:

The one who like the Action/ Sci Fi, in short, fast paced movies with no brainer or something so technically advanced that they can get totally immersed and actually love the so called scientific concepts in the movie.

There is another class which likes the Oscar movies with intense drama and deep thought provoking theme.

There is the widest class which like any movie with a great star cast, lots of style, lots of romance angle even if it is action (Spidey 2) and which are generally hit even before they release.


I fall in class 3. But somehow there is sometimes a thin line between category 1 and category 3. An example will be the recent Iron Man or the National Treasure 2. For the same reasons mentioned above, I chose to go for both of these. But I was disappointed.


Or was I? Actually not. I was motivated. Motivated to watch more of “Tanananananaaa… Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham” kind of movies where Shahrukh stammers, Amitabh gives well punctuated but long dialog deliveries and the heroines do a virtual fashion show with Manish Malhotra clothes. Off late, Kabhi khushi kabhi gham has become a benchmark for me. It lies in the critical region below which any movie can become unwatchable. Example: Veer Zaara, KANK, Tara Rum Pum, Aaja Nachle. Movies which barely cross it on the other side will be No Entry, Laaga Chunari mein daag, Om shanti om and even bhootnaath.


Amongst the English ones, I guess such a movie will be “The Departed”. It lies in the better side of the movies but for English movie, the criteria are totally different. There has to be a good story, because if there is no good story, I will again rather watch des ki movie…tanaanaaanaana….with loads of songs and dances.


You might be wondering why “The Departed”, its because it has all the factors I consider important : An A1 star cast, a wonderful story and not so sci fi-ish. However where it fails is the use of swear words. I can understand, to give the true picture, you do need to be realistic, use the language of the people. But then you also have to keep in mind that movie is a mass medium, and however common in lingo, swear words can never be good and should be consciously avoided. A classic example of such a movie will be “Omkara” which had to have some bad words, but they were kept to the minimum required.


Now the interesting comparison. Movies above and below “The Departed”. The ones that are bad : Iron Man, National Treasure 2, Oceans 12, Pirates 3, Beowulf etc etc. Movies better: All HPs ( the best story in the world), Atonement, Oceans 11 and 13, Spidey 2, Lions for lambs, Charlie Wilson’s war etc.


Hehhe, again a post so full of me comes to an end. I know this will end up with no comments. But I can’t stop myself from copying Bachi Karkaria at this stage. Bachi always quotes a certain Alec Smart ( Interestingly, when wikied, Smart Alc refers to a person who is regarded as obnoxiously self-assertive and an impudent person. Anyway, so here we go:


Alec Smart says “ I started enjoying Rajnikanth movies from the day I saw ‘The Transporter’”

8 comments:

Nirmal Gunaseelan said...

Alec's comment is quite amazing! Rajinikanth in my opinion tries all the themes in which you have categorized movies. Jack of all trades and hence become famous via atleast one perception? I think movies like Ironman are more of a classic like Spiderman which will always have a following and are not to be easily compared with contemporary movies. You didnt comment on National Treasure 1 which was quite original in its theme...

Sandipan Mitra said...

Hey Nirmal... Well, there was a certain slight dig at you in my blog but as I am not shy to tell it to you on face, nor was I in the blog! National Treasure 1 was first of its kind, before Dan Brown wrote DVC.. But now, this is too cliche.

Nikhil Nemade said...

I totally agree on the Hindi movie part of it and maybe am avictim to the same kind of logic .... no wonder I went n saw Sarkar Raj!!


... however, wrt the English movies I don't agree. The amt. of swear words isnt exaggerated. Maybe you feel so cos. in Boston and maybe specifically in Mathworks you are with either highly educated people or desis who actually don't sawear as much!! ..... but here at Dell which is more of an AMerican company, probably the language used by most may outdo "The Departed"....while they don;t really mean to abuse anyone, those words are used in daily lingo just to get your point across. Not that I approve of their usage, but thats the way it is!!!

Sandipan Mitra said...

Interesting point! But still, we also know the kind of languages used in hostels and colleges in India. How many of that do we see in the movies?

We ave some movies with 'jal piyo'..

Nikhil Nemade said...

..... and an ex-roomie who ate jal-pinos :D

Anupama K. Mazumder said...

I love purely commercial Bollywood flicks, mainly because you can go in and come out with a blank mind, and reasonaly pleased with yourself if you do not ask too many questions.
There's more to be seen, although. The use of colours, wonderful locations, jewellery, clothes, etc.. there's something for everyone who chooses to look carefully.
I like movies with some substance too, like "Khuda Kay Liye.."

Anupama K. Mazumder said...

There's a lot to see in English movies too, in terms of special effects, exquisite acting, strong screenplays...but you enjoy the lack of depth in story lines in Bollywood blockbusters such as k3g, jab we met, kank..who needs stories, is the attitude.

Sandipan Mitra said...

Right said anupama.. I guess our priorities differ with lanuguage of films