Sunday, April 01, 2007

Bachi Karkaria

This is a tribute to the woman whose writing style I like the most. The best is her line of thinking on which her articles are based.

Well before writing about her, I was so confused about so many things. Firstly it was contradictions to the sole idea of my blog. It was supposed to be a musing. But here it’s hardly one. It’s just keeping on blabbering about a person about who already so much is written. And second was the fact that I have to be so much correct in my grammar and word usage because I am writing about someone who is excellent in this department. I even checked whether we can call it a “tribute” if the person is still living.

The person I am talking about is of course “Bachi Karkaria”.

Long time in my 9th -10th standards, I thought that she is the Bunny Jug Suraiya always mentions about as his wife, because bunny is also a humorous character. And I think I am not alone in thinking this. I have found 2-3 more people who also thought the same.

It so turns out that its quite the different. She is a totally different person on her own and more importantly she is not just a writer, which I think is still the best thing about her. What I like about her writing is the simplicity of the topics and which are so relevant and almost 80% of the times exactly what I want to think about. Like her latest article in Erratica about what she thinks is actually happening but which people may think is a part of the April fool day.

Just googling about her, I came across another wonderful article of her in BBC about the neo-Hinduism. For a moment I thought is she turning anti-Hindu etc only to revert back my views. It was again as always exactly what I thought of it. The Neo-Hinduism is same as it was 30 years back, accepting Hinduism from the west.

She is I guess the mother of what we now call – Blogging. Her articles are so so natural that it always falls in the musing category, which half the bloggers always claim to do and mostly giving away their strong views about a person or event. But throughout her articles which I have always made a point to read since standard 10th, never did she take any sides.

Anyway here are a few links.

1) Her Page “Erratica” on ToI website.

2) Her biography on ASHA page.

A few notable things from her bio which appealed to me.

· Graduating with Honours in English Literature from Loreto College, Calcutta, Bachi then received a diploma in journalism from Calcutta University, ranking first and being awarded a gold medal.

· Prior to her present assignment at The Times of India, Bachi was Resident Editor of the paper’s largest and prestigious New Delhi edition.

· In 2003, she was invited to join the high-profile Board of the India AIDS Initiative of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

· Earlier, as Senior Editor of The Times of India, Bachi edited the Sunday Times of India, turned around the Bangalore edition, making it rise from No.4 to No. 1 within the year, and, before that, conceptualised and edited the path-breaking Bombay Times.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, I like Bachi a lot too....
Saw more of in kwk episode of mallya and shobha de.
She rocks......

esha said...

you really like her!!!!!!!! i am really amazed!!!!!!!!! i really find her articles without any purpose......... i mean she ends up with something radically different from what she had started the article with.......and at end i find no conclusion.... her articles lacks the very important thing and that is a flow..... i find her jumping from one topic without any requirement.......

Sandipan Mitra said...

I like her style of being totally aloof from the current contexts and a neutral view of everything.
I do see the connection too of her digressions!
Let us dscuss abt it sometime

esha said...

yes would very nuch like to discuss...... but for that we should meet of which chances are very rare....... anyway keep posting.......

Saurabh said...

Alec Smart said "Only if words could describe how beautiful Bachi is..." Nice post. If you are in as much awe of her as many of us are, do get her book Erratica which is a compilation of her classic writings. And flip to page 140 for the article on Hilsa. You will, I assure you, fall in love with her words.

miloni said...

totallyy she rockss..n i agree feels lik she is voicing my views!!

Anonymous said...

totally accept with esha, no purpose in the article, few lines of her own confusion........... put with few toppings of sage say ;p