Saturday, July 28, 2007

Random views, II3, KWK

I don’t know what should be the title of this post. Just finished seeing the results of Indian Idol 3, Gala 5 results. I don’t know what impressed me. But I was. Whether all the reality shows are like this, I know not. I have been out of touch with TV for a long long time, ever since I left home in 2000. It’s only coming back here that I have started watching TV shows on the internet.

Off late, my favorite has been KWK (Koffee wit Karan). He makes stupid movies but his show is really great. I like the way he is not ashamed of his antiques and style. That day I was telling somebody that Rituparno Ghosh is another Karan Johar. Well, it’s a great thing to be the definition of some characteristics. Anyway, what I like most about the show is seeing the interviewing skills of the various people. While even new ones like Lara, Bipasha and John are such smart in their replies, Hema Malini and Madhuri Dixit, being so much better and famous actors than these people, are so artificial in their interviews. Infact, I ardently follow all Hema malini interviews just for seeing that how such a beautiful and talented actress acts so comically before the camera.

Uff, somebody should stop me now. When I get started about KWK, I can’t stop. This post started with Indian Idol results episode. I know these people try to get too much real at times that it looks bad. For example, I forgot which, but one contestant has birth parents and growing up parents. So they made up a show out of it. But 2 things that happened today really moved me. One was Ankita’s legs were shaking uncontrollably. When it didn’t stop, Hussain suddenly said, Ankita, tum theek ho na, nahi tho tum andar ja sakti ho. It was quite personal. I liked it a lot. The other one was in the end when Parleen was leaving. It was natural that Puja cries, some other contestants cry, even the judges make sad faces. What surprised me the most was Mini Mathur crying uncontrollably. Whatever might be the reason, an anchor of a show crying for some contestant is unheard of. Whether this is good or bad I don’t know but I would say Mini just started a welcome trend.

Coming to Mini, a little has to be said about her too. I have been following her for a long time. It was around 96-97 I think when she started coming in Namaste India. Travel shows then were quite rare and she was just exceptional. Despite being so famous, she started from scratch and won the MTV VJ Hunt contest and undoubtedly was one of the best VJs for that too. And now she is into Indian Idol. And what she did yesterday was simply superb.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totallyyy agree with your views on this. i have just recently started watching Indian Idol 3 as well, and i was upset when Parleen was voted off. The thing that moved me most, however, was Mini Mathur crying for Parleen. You are right, it is natural for contestants and judges to cry, but this is the first time I've seen an anchor cry. I think Mini is the best anchor I have seen in India and I was very touched by the portrayal of her feelings on the results episode.

Sandipan Mitra said...

Hi Anonymous! Thanks a lot for the support! I thought may be i only feel the same!
BTW who are u? can u tell?

Advay said...

Well, reality shows have loads of emotions. I think you should have seen the starting episodes of II3. There were so much of conspiracies to get someone out. Ankita was one of the victims, good that judges saved her. But I feel on screen fight between Anu Malik and Alisha is also kind of staged, just to earn some more fame and pull some more crowd. Emotions are the part of reality show and thats why we prefer those programs over Ekat Kapoors K-serials. Maybe I will also cry when Ankita votes out of II3. :)
I hate KWK and i feel its a yuck program. I dont know how can you waste your time on such bullshit program.Anyways,its your personal opinion, I should respect that :).

Sandipan Mitra said...

KWK is not a bullshit program. Without going into moral and mental benefits, its pure entertainment.

Perfect Misfit said...

hmmm...i have always felt that the Indian Idols and the Big brothers are as real as the 'K' serials, i.e they are not real at all and my take is that all the players involved, the participants, anchors and judges have a hard bound script before every episode to act out..so i better not say anything more about them.. :D
Coming to KWK, even i like KWK for its sheer entertainment factor, i like the way KJo handles everything including his movies and his show, with sooo much of focus on the details and so much of care..it almost shows in his efforts..tat's why i like his show inspite the guests giving the most cliched anwswers :)

Advay said...

@all,
guys why dont you read one of the Scott Adams blogs where he actually reveals how all possible TV shows are staged. Even most of the interviews are more or less modified according to the viewers like and dislike. Can you imagine, all these people in KWK or II3 or Roadies manage to get everything correct in a single shot? Everyone wants to earn money and easy way is to find what people take interest in and stage it.

Sandipan Mitra said...

@lalit: Right said, they are all staged. But the strength is how can u make a staged show look real. Wondre what if Satyajit Ray had to make a reality show.
BTW i like ur take on KWK, and i knew, u gotto like it :)

@advay: U scott adams fan. Good good! NOthing more to add tough. The fact remains that we still see all