Friday, May 11, 2007

UP Elections

Haah. Finally I may be one of the first ones to voice my opinion about the UP elections. Well not exactly the first, because I guess the best one is Sagarika Ghosh's. I hope my other favourite, Bachi Karkaria also comes up with something equally witty.
But here is what I think. I observed this in National elctions 2004 as well and now here. Isn't exit polls really messing up with the mindset of people? Showing early leads in the first rounds of eletions surely affects the minds of the voters. Who will want to vote for a loser. So the end may be either they vote whoever is gaining, or they just don't vote, both way hampering the performance of the losing party.
Well does not mean that I am an SP or BJP supporter. Absolutely not, on the other hand, a party who's second in command get himself busy over a wedding, don't deserve to win. Worse was the way elections were won, religion and castes. I mean even elections in Northeast, orissa and West bengal (well ofcourse the 3 geographies have their own meaning, North east or their virtual disconnectivity form the rest of India(sadly though), Orissa for their backward west region and west bengal for teh reason that they dont need to fight there, it is a one party state) are fought fo developement. In Karnataka, AP, they fought it for agriculture and all. In gujrat, they fought for developement, didnt even try to appease the minority. Even Bihar fought for developement. But the UP one, really disgusting.
Anyway, better spend more time on teh Sagarika blog than this :)

3 comments:

Vishnu said...

I am a regular reader of your blog and wanted to clarify some misconceptions of yours. In AP the political struggle is yet again strongly based on caste but the only distinction being that Chandrababu Naidu did sizeable development and brought AP to the face of the world. However the person who sits on the AP gaddi right now is an outright goonda and never deserved to be the leader at any point of time.
I don't think I need to explicitly mention where I am from after this comment.

Sandipan Mitra said...

Hi!
thanks for clarifying the misconception. I thought the present CM was a pro farmer guy.
Off late i have learnt to appreciate the importance of agriculture, and why at times industrialization can take a backseat but agriculture no no.

Perfect Misfit said...

yeah but adding 2 wat u said..in north there seems 2 be a dearth of issues, people seem to vote for a particular caste or just to topple the present Govt. where as in south i feel teh issues are more pertinent and time specific ( like veerapan, teh kaveri dispute etc). On a more personal Note I feel down south people indulge in politics during the elections only whereas up in north it seems to be a 5 year election.
Good topic and very nicely written though!!