Friday, November 10, 2006

The Namesake (I Am Spellbound)

This is my first attempt at book reviews. And i am overtly enthralled that it is for this book.
I have read "Interpreter of Maladies" a few years back. I instantly became a fan of her writing. Though it nagged me that she always writes about this topic of divided lives of either the ABCD's or about the NRI's, there is never a boring moment unless you hate the concept through and through. So if you are not against reading this particular type of stories which u may be prompted to if u have seen too many of these east meets west kind of movies. I will never read "Mi Nathuram Godse Boltoy" just because i don't think a wrong man can brainwash my believes. But i know the book is a very good one.
Anyway coming to the point. At certain points I did feel that the book was meant for the world apart form india and the bengalis. For the non-bengali indians I felt that there is a feeling of so close, yet so far. For rest of the world, who don't know ndian culture, this surely adds another dimension to the book. Know-more-about-India sort of. But then as I went deeper into the book, this seemed less and less important.
The bengali things you need to know:
1) Mutton is at its best when cooked with potatoes.The potatoes are as cherished as the mutton itself.
2) You call the family friends not as Mr and Mrs . Surname but as Mashi and Mesho or Kaku and Kakima.
Well that's all.
Now about the book. The best part is the storyline. You never feel bored. Just when u seem to feel that this topic is now growing on me, whoosh, it is as if Jhumpa gets a invisible signal and the scenes change. Its always sweet and makes you think so much and yet never leaves you feel depressed.
The way the story deals with the untimely deaths is utterly fascinating. After each death, she doesn't concern with the mourns but the coping up, the other relevances and does not exemplify with the tremendous word power she has got. She could have made you cry, but she leaves the situtation to the reader. Instead she moves on.
She has never gone typical melodramatic. Never do you see the parents forcing something on their children, never do they say no to any change. The character of the lead lady, Ashima is so wonderfully carved. She is traditional but not to the extreme. She is modern, not to the extreme. I feel she is the best character in the story. So strong yet so vulnerable.
Another salient point in the whole story is, rather the heart of the book, the relevance to the title. The book of Nikolai Gogol. At every stage, you never feel that Nikolai Gogol is out of the book. I have not read any of his work but now I do plan to read up "The overcoat". If Jhumpa Lahiri is also a fan of this book and the author, then I would say, this is the best way one can pay tributes to someone else.
In the end, I woud just like to mention that each character in this book is so well off by themselves and so beautifully crafted, that Jhumpa Lahiri can make her entire life by writing the same book with respective angles. It felt that each character can be rewritten about so many times like pole do for Arjun, Karna and Draupadi in Mahabharat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one book I'm gonna read, dude. Based totally on your review. If I like it, the Interpreter is next. :)

Advay said...

The book seem to be interesting... i will definitely get on with it !!!

Anonymous said...

WISh I had time, haven't even started hullaballo in guava orchard:(
but shall finish all of them before new year arrives :)

Anonymous said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=11463130&postID=116319403242420857&bpli=1