Monday, October 04, 2010

Missing the Orkut days



One social networking website has taken over the other one. I still have my orkut account, but due to lack of response from other people, it has gradually faded away even from my daily routine. However, this weekend I became quite emotional after browsing the old things in Orkut for a bit.

I really missed my proud 12000 scraps on Orkut. Now it has started reducing because the site deletes all the scraps of people who have left Orkut and there are quite a few of them.

Also, suddenly I got reminded of what I used to call OFOD at that point (Orkut fortune of the day). It was plain fortunes, nothing too earth shattering, and most of the time just like fortune cookies, they were just statements and not really any predictions. There was also another funny aspect where I would exchange my OFOD’s with my friends. It so happened that Advay and I probably got assigned the same random number seed and hence our fortunes were always the same. This gave me a 11.5 hours head-start over my other US friends about my fortune. How I bragged over this little inconsequential thing.

For a while there was a limit of photos that you can upload on Orkut and it was generally a tricky thing to decide which 12 they should be. We were younger those days and the kind of photos we put was surely very suspect at times. While browsing through photos of my friends, I found one or two of my photos which I would have obviously objected to, if uploaded now.

Scraps were public and there was a lot of Jasoosi that could be done. I had spent hours doing Jasoosi with friends on other ones. This public scrapping was bad too and I realized it first time when CNN IBN actually went through all the scraps of the Indian girl dead in the Virginia Tech Shootout and passed judgments on her possible boyfriends based on scraps.

And of course there were the communities. We created the K.V. Ambajhari community and till the time Orkut was alive, we went up to 600+ members from a mere 10 of my own batchmates to start with. I had created only one community ever and that was of Shamu the Killer whale but it did not kick off. There were only 100 odd members worldwide.

Becoming a fan and counting number of fans was also a big deal. I learnt the trick of increasing fan count, which is by becoming fans of other people. Soon they introduced the concept of Cool and Handsome too. I remember how I had shamelessly requested people to rank me so that my rating bump up.

And finally, testimonials. How can I forget those? They are such big morale boosters. I love this one the most:

Sandipan stands true to the saying "Good Things Come in Small Packages". I would like to say that sometimes the best of things come in small packages.


Orkut is and was definitely more loaded than the Facebook. I guess simplicity is were Facebook wins over orkut and ofcourse I think the fact that Facebook is “American” while orkut was never also played a part in it's success. I still vote for Orkut anyday.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Even I have stopped checking Orkut daily for the same reasons.

... its time for you to get to new social networking site and follow bips (you know which site I am talking about)

Sandipan Mitra said...

It's dying too. KJO, aamir khan, sachin stooped. I guess others will follow.

Anupama K. Mazumder said...

Someone is missing orkut? ha ha!

I agree with your post mostly. I loved the open-ness of the site, although you need to keep your head on your shoulder throughout. I did not like it when they introduced the locking feature, and even today, my orkut page is as public as it can be. Social networking sites are not for personal stuff, and hence no locking business.

Sandipan Mitra said...

Hey Anupama,

Yeah it is very important to do the right thing in any social networking site. The locking features were a huge bummer. BUt I liked those limited accesibility fetaures like show your birthday to friends of friends but birth year only to friends or whatever :)

Sandeep Math said...

orkut is definitelt no more in fad! but it will be my intro to social networking n has helped me find a lot of my 'chaddi dosts'! :)
thx to Orkut Buyukkokten...

Nirmal Gunaseelan said...

Something that might help you - http://www.insidefacebook.com/2010/10/28/brazil-india-link-orkut/

SWAT said...

It's been a long time since orkut went dead. But memories of the days spent there, doing everything and more of what you mentioned, still brings back smile in me. I still miss orkut, I wish we all could go back there.