Saturday, August 08, 2009

Deepika Padukone’s accent

I saw Love Aajkal yesterday. It is a good one time watch. But the thing I got hooked to is Deepika’s accent. It’s not rare for me to get hooked to some weird characteristics of leading ladies though. I like Bipasha’s slight squint, Rani’s husky voice, Katrina’s faulty hindi, Shilpa Shetty’s abs.

But Deepika’s accent is very mysterious. I still don’t understand which part is it from? My initial hunch and Nikhil confirms that it is the Hindi spoken in Marathi cities, but not Nagpur Pune or Mumbai. But then she was brought up in Bangalore and her origins are from Mangalore. She doesn’t have the typical south Indian accent also. The other strange thing is, it is such a slight accent as it cannot be categorized, it cannot be corrected or somebody can point out the mistakes. It is very subtle. I googled it and thought that it will lead me to something, but I found no such article. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. One cannot even copy and make fun of the accent. I wish I could.

Whatever is the case, Deepika is surely the kind who is horse of long race “lambi race ka ghoda”. She is here to stay and not vanish like the zillions of newcomers. Whenever I think of her, a funny incident comes to my mind:

Me, and my 19 year old cousin, 14 year old and 7 year old nephews were playing 20 questions or what is also known as Tom Dick and Harry where you have to identify the name of a person asking only 20 yes no questions. We all knew about the limited knowledge of the 7 year old. After all, you really do not expect much from him. So his turn was after me and hence he used to think in the same lines as I do. My first character was J.K Rowling. My little friends made to it after almost 25-30 questions but that is fine. Next, is this nephew’s turn. Now we all know he knows only 1 litterateur. So the first question we ask him is “Rabindranath Tagore”? And he says yes . Next I choose a bit less complicated and I choose Madhuri Dixit. So when it’s his turn, we directly tell him, “ Is it Deepika Padukone?” He just knows only one actress :D

Another proof is my friend’s quote: All kingfisher air hostesses are like Deepika Padukone. It’s like she has become the epitome of beauty. These just prove Deepika’s growing fan following. A sex symbol can never be the most popular actor; they do not become popular amongst kids. True popularity comes if someone is acceptable to all generations. So, Deepika! way to go.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, it is indeed like hindi spoken in marathi speaking cities.Me,being a maharastrain myself. But the accent sucks and its no way complimenting her personality and the on-screen roles that she projects. If she wants to make it big, the first thing she needs to do is work on her accent..!!

vix said...

well, i too have fallen for deepika's accent... its sort of contagious... very sexy!
it made me search google... and the only thing i found is your blog... and you've got it right my friend... bang on right... there's some mystery about deepika's accent... which can pull you towards her!!!! takes my breath away!

Sandipan Mitra said...

Well, I just realized that probably her accent is like one wo learns hindi from watching translated cartoons. what say?

Anonymous said...

You are right my friend. It is a mild Marathi accent. Wonder how she got it though as she is originally Konkani, and grew up in Bangalore.

Anonymous said...

I am from the same community as deepika padkone, her accent is a very typical konkani accent - but this is not the goan konkani. this kinkani originates from manglore and karwar in karnataka. and her being from b'lore just intensifies the accent! most of the people from our community have the same accent!

Nimi said...

I'm a South Indian and have been born and brought up in Bangalore.I find her accent very weird and annoying at times.Where has she picked it up from?She tends to stretch words unnecessarily.For instance,she says praw-meesee(promise) and so on.I have been noticing this from Love Aaj Kal to her recent Break Ke Baad too.It's clear she hasn't been concentrating on the issue.It's makes me less enthusiastic to watch her work however 'powerful' or 'different' it is.!