Saturday, September 16, 2006

Mangalore-My love (beware, its too long)

Often during my conversations with Vikram, even now, suddenly we feel a craving to forget everything in the present and go back to the good old days, of college and hostel life.
But readers wait! This is not another of "Oh those good old days..those were the days" kind of story where its all about how hostel was funny and ragging was a blessing in disguise. Infact I planned to write a detailed description of all places, but then thought better i be some brand ambassador of Karnataka tourism. Instead I describe one incident here which sort of summarizes my love of what I like about Mangalore, rather DK district.

It was around 2nd week of November 2004. I was in Infy Mysore and was aspiring for MS in US. Since me and Vikram had started this venture together we decided that it was high time we go back to the college (I graduated in June 2004 from NITK) for transcripts and recos. I started from Mysore, in Ideal Travels and reached Surathkal at around 5:30 am. Vikram arrived at 6:30 and we booked a room in Maharaja hotel, though it was a more common practice amongst the ex-students to stay with the juniors in the hostel blocks, but we had too much work to take it to hostel and frankly we were afraid of the numerous questions by the juniors.

Now let’s fast forward a bit, went to college, missed on one prof (out of station) and the other professor said no. Only one of them had agreed to give reco. But surprisingly, the best and the most strict professor and erstwhile HOD, Late Dr. P N Shridhar voluntarily agreed to give me recos. These things took up the whole day and since the success rate was only 66%, even Vikram had similar experiences, we were pretty down.

I don’t even remember what I did that day afterwards, but I remember sharing my frustration with mom over phone who suggested to further approach the prof who rejected saying that as teachers are inherently good people, he will agree. And believe me, it worked, the prof was really happy and said he wanted to see my real zeal. Well all went well and things were finally in place by 12 noon though we had to be back at around 2.

Oops, here my story actually begins. Such a long prologue, but well that’s my style!

Anyway, so now we have 2 hours to spare in NITK. We rush to the sadashiva temple near the college beach. This is one temple I like immensely mainly for its quiet atmosphere. Here our usual frightening priest was waiting. Frightening I say because he has typical Brajesh Mishra looks and I have a feeling that he doesn’t like college students coming in all odd dresses and without bath and pray and never even bother to put something in the donation box. But it was a rule that he will serve the holy charnamrit and a tiny ball of chandan to all who offer prayers.. He did that with such a pathetic face. But things change as soon as you ask for 7 Rs or 10 Rs Prasadam. This time we were prepared. We were earning J. I donated a new rs 5 in the hundi and asked him for another 7 Rs prasadam. Vikram, the rich obviously went for the 10/- prasadam. Now he gave us a broad smile, chanted mantras for us for 5 minutes, gave us big balls of chandan and of course a broad smile. Whew, we were relieved. After a hurried tour of the other surrounding temples and a hurried look at the art on the temple walls, we had to sit in the temple before leaving the temple as taught to us by Ananth.

It was barely 2 seconds and we set off again towards the beach. Happily eating the 17/- worth of prasadams, we spent an hour in the beach. We were quite silent in the beach. And each of us was thinking about ourselves. Generally I always feel this way when I go to the beach. The vastness of the sea makes me so humble that I feel I should pour my heart out to it as it can absorb anything. This way, when it was nearing 2 I never knew and had to run to reach the college.

The work was over in an hour and now the real fun was going to start! A race against time. 8 hours in hand and so many places to go. So here we go! Take a bus to surathkal. Typical bus, with lots of women dressed in their best of saris and tones of jewelries is a regular scene in the buses. And there is a marriage somewhere everyday. Anyway, in 5 minutes we reach suarthkal, hurriedly leave the transcripts and reco in the hotel and set off for the bus again. But alas, not so soon. Mr. Vikram has to have juice in Oasis. Now this is a wonderful place worth mentioning. It looks shabby where any parent will ask his pupils not to go. But surprisingly after cautious try for a few days, when nothing happened with these wonderful and thick 5/- juices, we had become a fan. My favourite was unconventional carrot juice and rose milk, but Vikram preferred the apple n grapes. After some 4-5 glasses each we catch yet another local bus with even more jhatackpatack women in even more jhatatckpatack saris and jewelries and head full of gajras. Well to tell you frankly, I really like the simplicity in these women, these old traditional dressing sense is lot better than so called “aaj ki naari” wearing short tops but then always pulling it down.

After half an hour we reach NMPT bus stop. The panambur beach is nearby. We had time shortage, so we took auto for a distance of about 1.5 kms which we generally love to cover by walking. And here we are again: In front of the sea. But this is entirely different. This is not where I loose myself to the sea, but here I see the sea of people merging with the Arabian sea. All sorts of people, the family types, the bunch of high school riends, the shy couple, the bold couple, the old uncle and aunty, the rich family, the poor family but everybody now equally madly in love with the sea. The food in this beach varied considerably. From gobi Manchurian to sugarcane sticks, form boiled wet whole groundnuts to the favorite “Churmure”. But we had other plans for food. We went far away inside the jetty! Now water was on all the three sides. We sat on the rocks and as usual we started talking about careers and it dwelled to my favorite topic o how I wish to own the “N V Hegde” house just next to the KREC beach.

It was almost 5:30-6:00 when we left that place. Took another bus this time and reached Saibeen. The biggest mall in Mangalore that time. It did have those swanky shops but not the usual branded ones, instead u see all local names. And full of Dubai merchandise. Vikram had to renew his neck chains bead. And then how can we miss the chamcham and the Badaam Milk of Shreyas sweet shop in the ground floor. After more window shopping and buying something totally unnecessary from Joofri’s superstore, we head for our final destination. Jyothi circle.

Here it was almost 7, stomach half full but so many places to go. Firstly there has to be poptates eatery. Poptates the Persian chicken grill shop specialized in chicken rotisserie. We finished a whole chicken between the two of us. This was just the appetizer. After that we had to go to Hao ming Chinese restaurant though we were not even a bit hungry. But coming to mangalore and not going to Hao Ming was like going to Agra and not seeing the taj mahal. So as if to appease the Hao Ming Goddess, we went and had some noodle dish. Now we were filled till the chest. After this we went to the new place “Liquid Lounge”, the swanky new pub in mangalore. Ordered some drinks and thought this will be it. But there was chicken salad and the rani salad which we had to order. Don’t ask me why we had to. You should never ask those questions when Vikram is around. As soon as we saw the quantity, we had almost given up our hopes to even inish half of one, but believe me, they were so so tasty that in no time, we see empty plates ahead of us. Now full upto the neck, we start heading back towards the bus stand. But then our eyes fall on Iceberg. Another analogy like the Agra one suggested and we head there. We couldn’t even walk. But we order 2 ice creams there. Thankfully, I guess icecream took no extra space and fit itself in all the small vacant places left around the stomach to neck. Now we dragged ourselves somehow to the busstand and caught the bus to Surathkal. The express bus (pronounced EsssssPresssssssss) literally flew to Surathkal in no time at all. I saw Vikram eyeing towards Sads restaurant. I was like “ no Vikram, I finally give up.” But then he said, “not the restaurant buddhu, the paanshop.” Asking the paanwala to put extra gulab…(ooops I forgot this name, but it’s a sweet jelly with embedded rose petals) we eagerly looked at it and each of us trying to grab the one which had more of it. And believe me, that paan digested all the food we had. Kit really had miraculous power.

Finally our trip came to an end. We packed our bags, checked out of hotel and caught our buses back to Mysore/Bangalore. While coming back I realized that this may be my last trip in a long long time. But then proper justice was done to all the places.

Mangalore for me is the beach. It is the temples, it is the richly clad women with flowers on their heads, it’s the fish stink that lingers all the time. It is the nice blend between modern and old. It’s the rich religious mix (Hindu, Muslim Christian in equal numbers) of the people and it is the district of highest literacy percentage in india (if I R rao is to be believed, which I do) but over and above all, It is the city of the heavenly food.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work. Keep it up.Well, it reminds me of my time i went to get my reco too. Funny you didnt mention i just went(with stealth settings) a couple of days before you guys (that too on my B'Day) to get reco. I havent seen much of world yet, but with whatever little exposure i have had with the outside, nothing bests the ambeince and homeliness of Surathkal. The abode of the freaky genius rules.

Ananth Sivakumar

Advay said...

wow ! well written... all the memories of surathkal are still fresh in my mind... Surathkal rocks !!!

Perfect Misfit said...

..although i am in the middle of my exams..could'nt stop myself from reading this...nice one...and don't tell me u had all that food at one go...i won't believe you even if u put a knife to my neck!! :)))

Anonymous said...

Ooooooooooooooooooooh Mangalore! :D

Seems to me you were packin in a years worth of food in a day, uh?

KREC... 4 years of fun. The abode of the geeky frenius rulez :P

Sandipan Mitra said...

@ananth: That was the biggest lomdigiri by u ever! none of us even got a hint. I got a little one and that too u got away with!
@advay: I know, it really rocks, esp the rocks on the beach :)
@lalit: Yes i did eat! even i dont know how! But believe me. and the paan really helped.
@dev: Yup really 4 years of fun! And mangalore food rocks!

Anonymous said...

till now i thought that it was only with me that things like sitting by the sea brought out the philosopher sleeping inside u!! the description is vivid and really nice, helped me draw a mental pic of u sitting by the sea shore and then u running through the crowd at night in a market shining with lights , with ur usual child like laugh, to have diff types of food...will tell u a few exp of my own when we meet , hard to write so many memories here, m not a gud writer like u :)
but still wat is carrot juice and rose milk?? can we make it here at home??

Anonymous said...

Waw... Well written... it made me proud about my place..

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

das said...

Just came across this post randomly while searching for the lyrics of dhano dhanne pushpe bhora. I too am an alumnus of NITK (graduated in 2010). Brought back all the memories alive!! :)

Sandipan Mitra said...

Thanks Pritha! Looks like you are an alumnus of Texas A&M as well!

Anonymous said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=11463130&postID=116129276827861803&bpli=1 https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=11463130&postID=116129276827861803&bpli=1